Saturday, September 15, 2012

1925 Census on 1 June, 1925

A general overview of information obtained from the 1925 Census

*Henry (age 29 @ time of census) DOB 1896 in USA
He worked as Spec Patrolman

*Wife is Susan A (age 24 @ time of census) DOB 21 May 1901 in USA 

They had gotten married in 1921

Children > .Henry (age 2 @ time of census) DOB 1923 in USA
              
Address (owned): New York Ave  Jamaica, Queens


MY THOUGHTS

Well the 1925 Census was a very short census, but it was the 1st time that my Grandma, Susan, appeared with him.  In fact that is how I was able to finally figure out which Henry was which.  

Now, I'm attempting to find out exactly where they got married. If I knew what faith they practiced that might help.  Who knows though, maybe they got married in the court house.

Well, I thought that picture would come out larger.

 You can see there's 10 church's though.  So I have my investigative work cut out for me.   I vaguely remember seeing an old photo of my Grandmother in a wedding dress.  It's long gone now I suppose. That's why though, I think they had a church wedding and not a civil one.

In this Census it states that my Grandfather,  Henry, now was a Spec Patrolman.  I looked it up but didn't see any ranking of Spec or type of duty called Spec.  I guess it means special, which would fit if he was a guard for the Judicial System still,  like he was in 1920 as shown on that Census.

It must of paid pretty well for this Census is reflecting that the place they resided, they owned.  The place where they lived is now a bank and it's mostly industrialized in the neighborhood.  The closest place I could find to their home would of cost approximately $33.5K back then.  In today's standards that's equivalent to approximately $409K.  Not anything to sneeze at that's for sure.

They waited 2 years to have a baby and THEY NAMED HIM HENRY!  Another Henry! I'm pretty sure it was custom to name the 1st born male son after the Father back then. I noticed females did this as well naming their daughter's after themselves.  Some still adhere to this practice to this day.   

*When I find out exactly where they were married I'll post it.



No comments:

Post a Comment